Monday 1 June 2009

Loyalty Stamps


This is an idea I had a while back. I'd wanted to make a while back with @KPopper (twitter) but time crept on and other ideas started coming to the forefront and before long this project started gathering dust.

Instead of leaving the idea behind, this is an attempt to 'open-source' the idea. I'd be really interested to see what people think of it's feasibility.

The biggest issue with it at the moment is security. This needs some really clever dude to come along and figure out how the digital stamp can become secure. It was originally based on a password system but thats just a bit lame and vulnerable to abuse. I'd love to toy with the idea of QR codes matched with the location-based awareness of the iPhone to establish a genuine stamp.

The ultimate goal in my mind would be if the 'stamp' became a digital currency. Within a community of shoppers I could trade 10 coffee stamps for 2 hairdressing stamps etc.

As long as it doesn't become a pain in the ass the app would have great benefits to shop owners and consumers alike. It's a good example of taking an old tradition and injecting a bit of 2.0 into it.

So.. come on.. can you come up with a solution to make sure every stamp is genuine and cant be cheated? :-)



6 comments:

  1. I really like the idea, good luck with it.

    I'm not sure how easy it is to generate QR codes but I think it should be doable. You'd have to encode some protection into it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. emmm ... how about using text message: everytime you buy a coffee from the shop, the shop will send you a text message (somehow) and your app pick this message to generate the stamp. it should work as long as the (chain) shops are equipped with some text-sending machines ...

    Hope this helps.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have no idea how this can be done but hey it sounds interesting... I'd love to be able to trade stamps with someone that needs some of mine and vice versa. A tradebank with bidders getting updates on what is on offer etc....

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello,
    This is a really good read for me. Must admit that you are one of the best bloggers I ever saw. Thanks for posting this useful article.
    Hire iphone Developer

    ReplyDelete
  5. Maybe, they scan a QR code and it activates it? I i'll tweet this from @ios_blog too

    ReplyDelete
  6. have you thought of any solution since then?

    ReplyDelete